The Congress of the People is a progressive social democratic party that was formed as an opposition party that is meant to govern.
We are committed to protecting the marginalised and most vulnerable members of society while ensuring reliable wealth generation in the South African economy.
We believe in constitutionalism, freedom, solidarity, equality and social justice. We strive for democratic, accountable and incorruptible government that can intervene strategically in the national economy.
We believe that all South Africans are inherently good and believe we can inspire them to advance from being good to being great locall and internationally
Our aim is to take political power at the polls and deliver better government to South Africa.
We believe that we can make government work for all South Africans in particular, women, youth, the poor and those in rural areas:
- to relieve poverty; to create jobs and other appropriate income earning opportunities; to protect our people from crime; to advance citizen participation in all spheres of public endeavour;
- to improve and protect people’s health through appropriate measures, including staffing, medication, the provision of adequate protection from and treatment for all infectious diseases including HIV and AIDS;
- to educate our children; to develop and conserve human resources; to promote equal opportunity for all to prosper;
- to promote and defend our constitution and our country;
- to encourage free, and ethical economic activity upholding transparent and arms-length relations between political and business interests;
- to advance research and development, science and industry in order to be competitive and enable economic growth as well as development and the equitable distribution of the benefits of economic growth;
- to support the arts and humanities,
- to develop and conserve our natural resources,
- to preserve, protect and enhance our environment, including our built in environment.
The Congress of the People represents a movement committed to shape the future of our country and to inspire hope in our people. At the heart of our movement lies a fundamental belief, that all South Africans must be free and live fulfilled lives; that in order for this to happen, government must promote equal opportunities for all to prosper and protect people’s rights as enshrined in the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa.
Our Belief, Commitment and Promise
We believe that it is the responsibility of government to help our people achieve justice and fairness in society and therefore we envisage:
- A society where equal rights for all are guaranteed and protected and particular focus is given to the promotion, protection and advancement of the rights of women, children, the elderly, people with disabilities and the youth;
- A society that is responsible and understands that democracy means more than the right to vote periodically, but must mean opportunity for all citizens to enjoy active and continuous participation in civic life and to meaningfully provide input and shape governance;
- A society where all the people can find jobs or other appropriate means of income and contribute to growing the economy;
- A society where a sound education, proper nutrition, quality medical care, affordable housing, safe streets and a healthy sustainable environment are possible for everyone;
- A society where all workers are guaranteed the legal right to join unions of their own (choice) and to bargain collectively for decent wages and conditions of employment;
- A society where discrimination in any form based upon race, sex, age, colour, creed, national origin, religion, ethnic identity, sexual orientation, economic status, ideological persuasion or physical disability are condemned and government moves aggressively to end such discrimination through implementing the law and ensuring institutional capacity to eradicate and provide redress for such discrimination;
- A society where the elderly and the disabled can lead lives of dignity and where social development remains an unshakable commitment for all citizens and the government;
- A society where taxes are clearly based on a fair system;
- A society where the rights of minority groups are fully secured and where no one is denied the opportunity to prosper;
- A society where we recognise that the strengthening of the family and the protection of children are essential to the integrity and health of the nation;